The circuit used in the PREQ-73 is similar to the preamp and part of the equalizer section in the classic 1073 module with a corresponding sound character that is warm, punchy, sweet and musical. These classic characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on most sound sources and in most genres. The essence of this sound is now available at a surprisingly low cost, making it available to nearly everyone.
Golden Age Project PREQ-73 Circuit Description The signal first enters an input transformer -- one for the mic input and another one for the line input. The primary of the mic input transformer has two windings that are either connected in series or in parallel, which results in an input impedance of either 1200 or 300 Ohms. The transformers are followed by two input gain stages. For gains up to 50 dB, only one of them is being used. For gains above 50 dB, the second gain stage is inserted in the signal path. Both gain stages uses only three transistors each. After the gain stages, the signal goes to the equalizer section and then to the output level potentiometer and from there to the output stage. This stage again only uses three transistors, the last one in the chain is a hefty 2N3055 power transistor run in class-A mode, driving the output transformer. All in all, the complete signal chain contains only a maximum of 12 active elements including the three transistors in the eq section. Compare that to the big number of transistors that are usually used in one single integrated circuit!
Golden Age Project PREQ-73 Microphone Preamplifier and Equalizer Features
- Vintage style electronics. No integrated circuits in the signal path.
- Maximum gain on the mic input is 80 dB, enough to handle passive ribbon mics with quiet sound sources.
- Gain range on the line input: -20 to +10 dB.
- Switchable impedance on the mic input, 1200 or 300 Ohm, will change the tone of many mics.
- Switchable phantom power and phase reverse.
- A high-impedance instrument input for sound modules, electric guitar or bass.
- A two band LF (+/-15 dB) and HF (+/-20 dB) shelving equalizer with two selectable frequencies for each band.
- A simple but effective 3-step LED output level meter.
- Output level control for fine gain adjustments and to make it possible to drive the input gain and equalizer stages harder.
- Combo XLR/TRS input jacks and separate output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections. Will drive almost any load.
- Insert jack (unbalanced, low level) for inserting effect units in the signal path. It can be located before or after the eq section.
- Tantalum capacitors in the signal path.
- The circuit board is prepared for the Carnhill mic and line input transformers.
- -umper selectable 600 Ohms output termination.
- External high power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.
The includes a 1 Year return to base warranty. This warranty applies to all equipment which has developed a manufacturer defect during application. Please contact us to confirm the availability and lowest price for any product. For quotes and price matching requests, contact us and include the competing website address.
|Condition||Sealed / New|
|Delivered Price||Shown at checkout|
Look no further than AudioDubai when buying gear online in the United Arab Emirates , always at the lowest price with free shipping to all locations serviced by FEDEX UAE. Please contact us for stock availability , price quotes , expedited shipping quotes or to arrange a return of your (for the full purchase price of ). You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. AudioDubai are very proud to carry a large selection of gear. You demand quality, reliability, and innovative design from your gear, and we're here to help you find exactly what you need. We're glad to answer any questions you have and you can always depend on AudioDubai to give you the best possible value on musical instruments and accessories with responsive customer service.